Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Sql Error: "cannot Use Full-text Search In User Instance."

I'm using SSEUtil to automatically create a functional test database from the schema derived from my development database (SQL Server 2008 R2) as part of my build process. This all

Solution 1:

Either

User must have CREATE FULLTEXT CATALOG permission on the database, or be a member of the db_owner, or db_ddladmin fixed database roles.

or

you won’t be able to use full text catalogues if the SQL instance does not have it installed. Make sure the SQL server instance has the full text service running.

Here are two ways of testing whether this feature installed or not. This feature is available for all editions of SQL Server 2005 and 2008 (including SQL Express)

  1. Check the services applet (run -> type 'services.msc') for this entry : SQL Server FullText Search Or SQL Server FullText Search (SQLEXPRESS) (in case of SQL Express). Start this service of not running

  2. Run the query "select fulltextserviceproperty('isfulltextinstalled')" in the Query analyzer. if the result is '1' then it is installed else not.

In the case of unavailability of this feature, you need to install by downloading the "SQLEXPR_ADV.EXE" from http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download/default.aspx

Reference taken from here

Solution 2:

This is not really an answer to the question, but I came upon a similar issue with visual studio package manager when updating an entity framework code-first database (command update-database).

The problem was that I selected the wrong start-up project, and therefore visual studio was not using my connection string at all. It was connecting to a localdb instance, hence the cryptic error message "cannot use full text search in user instance". Once I made it connect to the actual database, it worked as expected.

Solution 3:

I also came across this user instance issue. I have to admit that I only have basic knowledge of SSMS. Apparently I'm logged as the public user. How can I be a member of db_owner? I try to generate and script everything without using the GUI.

For example, if I execute this

ALTERAUTHORIZATIONON DATABASE::[dbname] TO sa;

EXEC sp_changedbowner 'sa';

I still get the Cannot use full-text search in user instance error with

USE [dbname]
    CREATE FULLTEXT CATALOG [ftc_dbname] AS DEFAULT
GO

Post a Comment for "Sql Error: "cannot Use Full-text Search In User Instance.""