Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Setting Up The Default Aspnetsqlprovider To Point To Remote Database

When starting a new project that required the use of membership providers I found that I could not connect to a remote database that contained the membership database. I ran aspnet

Solution 1:

After much searching I found that the default Membership Provider specified in machine.config (c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG) was always pointing to a SQL Server running on the localhost.

Instead of modifying machine.config there is a way to set it up in the projects web.config:

1) Setup the connection string to the remote database

<connectionStrings><addname="aspnet_membership"connectionString="<your_connection_string>"/></connectionStrings>

2) In <system.web> redefine the default provider:

<membership><providers><removename="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"/><addname="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"connectionStringName="aspnet_membership"enablePasswordRetrieval="false"enablePasswordReset="true"requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"applicationName="/"requiresUniqueEmail="false"passwordFormat="Hashed"maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"minRequiredPasswordLength="7"minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="1"passwordAttemptWindow="10"passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""/></providers></membership>

The <remove name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"/> is key! All the other key/values were taken directly from machine.config

Solution 2:

<membership><providers><clear/><addname="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"connectionStringName="aspnet_membership"enablePasswordRetrieval="false"enablePasswordReset="true"requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"applicationName="/"requiresUniqueEmail="false"passwordFormat="Hashed"maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"minRequiredPasswordLength="7"minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="1"passwordAttemptWindow="10"passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""/></providers></membership>

I needed to add this lines to get my Roles and Profile staff based on Membership class working:

<profile><providers><clear/><addname="AspNetSqlProfileProvider"connectionStringName="aspnet_membership"applicationName="/"type="System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider, System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/></providers></profile><roleManagerenabled="true"><providers><clear/><addname="AspNetSqlRoleProvider"connectionStringName="aspnet_membership"applicationName="/"type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/><addname="AspNetWindowsTokenRoleProvider"applicationName="/"type="System.Web.Security.WindowsTokenRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/></providers></roleManager>

Solution 3:

step 2: copy this:

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=VMK\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=commodity_exchange;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

Solution 4:

Here is the solution:

step 1: Launch Visual Studio command prompt Type: aspnet_regsql Specify your server: if sqlexpress then server = hostname\sqlexpress ***********Use Windows Authentication

step 2: Copy this to web config.Dont specify username or password because ur connecting with windows authentication that’s why we have integrated security =true.

step 3 : Change security>Authentication type on web administration tool to "From the Internet".

Enjoy now.

Post a Comment for "Setting Up The Default Aspnetsqlprovider To Point To Remote Database"